Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a disease that affects the brain and spinal column. MS causes the body’s immune system to attack the protective sheath that covers nerve cells and fibers. This can cause communication problems between the cells and the brain — which can leave you in a lot of pain.
There is no cure for MS, but there are a number of treatment options that can help lessen your symptoms. In addition to physical therapy and infusion therapy in Lake County, IN, these five in-home methods may help relieve mild MS pain.
- Eat a balanced diet. Though no special diet has been found to reduce MS pain, most doctors recommend a well-rounded and balanced diet. Some experts also believe that vitamin D may have benefits for individuals with MS.
- Manage your stress. High stress can trigger your MS symptoms or make them worse. Managing your stress and using healthy coping mechanisms can help you live with less pain.
- Keep yourself cool. MS symptoms often get worse when your body gets too hot. Avoid spending too much time outside during the warmer months and use items like cooling scarves and handheld fans to control your body temperature.
- Get plenty of sleep. If you have MS, your symptoms might keep you awake at night. Look at your sleep patterns and establish a regular bedtime. This will help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep throughout the night.
- Exercise to manage pain. If you have mild or moderate MS, light exercise can help relieve pain when your symptoms flare up. Swimming, stretching, and water aerobics are all low-impact exercise methods that can help alleviate symptoms.
If you live with MS, your symptoms can make everyday tasks feel impossible. The board-certified team of medical professionals working with Midwest Neurology Associates can help you reclaim your life. If you’d like to learn more about MS treatment or back pain relief in Highland, IN, give our team a call today at 219-200-4676.